Friday, February 7, 2014

Why I blog....

Well, obviously I DON'T at least I haven't since mid November, but I am trying to recover.  In mid November, Tinta... the youngest dog... went here for a 3 week stay:


No, she is not competing in the Olympics, that is not Russia, despite a lot of similar architecture.  It is here at the Monks of New Skete  in upstate New York.  She has been a handful since the beginning, not quite a city dog, and a bit nervous about blowing bags, slamming doors and people in the hall.  These were all new behaviors to me, since Sienna had been bulletproof since her first day here.  

Tinta needed a firmer hand, and the monks gave her that.  She was there 3 weeks and came home so much happier with herself.  Mostly the intense focus on obedience seems to have given her much more confidence.  She takes more things in stride, and is more reliable in her response to people.  Now that was, of course, true before the recent run of below zero 20 inches of snow weather we have been having.  It has to be practiced and I have been a wimp about the cold, though I think I was always a wimp when it got below 10 degrees.  The other day we went out and I found myself thinking it was springlike.  It was 21 degrees!!! So we have not been practicing outdoors and there have not been a lot of people for her to meet and greet since no one else is out there either.  But I do know what to do and so does she so we will get back to it.  SOON, I hope. 

New Cambridge is about 3.5 hours away, so there were a couple of long haul rides to get there there and get her back and I was a bit obsessed.  

I know this has the title of why I blog and I realized it is for me.  I need a record of what is going on and what I am doing and since I am a devoted journaler I have 2 kinds of paper journals.  One type is the "get the crap out of the way and out of my head" type which is the Morning Pages from the Artist's Way.  I have been doing those pages every morning for years and years but I eventually throw them away vecause what they really are is whining and kvetching about life in general so I can get it out of the way and move on every morning.  I have moved into visual journals, like my music journals  and many that preceded them, but they are finished pages by the time they get displayed anywhere or are just empty books before.  

This is probably the most documentation of process I am able to do, so that is what it is.  Sometimes there are big blank spaces in "process" and sometimes there is a flurry of activity and this is for both.  I blog for me, and I think that is the absolute truth.  I WOULD do it/DO do it when no one notices because I notice and that is what it is for.  For me to notice both the activities and the spaces.  And, actually, there have been just over 500 entries here since I started, not bad for a process!

No comments: